Allergies are abnormal immune responses that typically attack a harmless environmental agent when it enters the body. An easy explanation would be that, it’s an extra dramatic response of our immunity system to something which is typically harmless in reality. It’s a kind of “false alarm.”
The harmless things that become prey to dramatic immune responses are called allergens. Children often catch on allergies real quick due to their playful lifestyle, i.e being surrounded by mud and dust. Food allergies are also very common in children.
Sources of allergies in kids:
The most common agents that can trigger allergies in children are:
- Pollens, grass, and tree
- Dust mites.
- Pests like roaches and mice
- Food allergens: Milk, dry fruits, milk, eggs, peanuts, soy, wheat, fish, shellfish.
- Bee stings
Also read: 11 Benefits of Including Mulethi in Your Diet
Symptoms of allergies in children:
Symptoms of allergies are usually highly visible in an individual. But sometimes people might get confused between the actual flu and an allergy. Here are some symptoms you can check for when your child is suffering from any kind of allergy:
- Stuffy nose or itching in the nasal area
- Red watery eyes
- Hives or skin rashes
- Extremely dry skin
- Breathing problems
- Coughing and wheezing
- Life-threatening reaction, anaphylaxis.
You might like: Save your Family from Harmful Preservatives
Ways to eliminate allergies in kids:
The best cure for any type of allergy is to take proper medicines under the guidance of your doctor. However, certain home remedies might help to soothe allergies in your children.
- A cold compress on skin allergies can help ease the itching. Take a cloth and put some ice cubes in it. Gently put it on the affected area.
- Bathing with baking soda in water would also relieve the tension on the skin.
- Breathing in steam is helpful when your child is suffering from a stuffy nose.
- Use a neti pot to flush out the nasal cavity from your child's stuffy nose.
- In the case of nausea, anti-nausea bands are available in the market that stimulates certain points that reduce nauseous feeling.
- Other than home remedies antihistamines drugs and varied lotions and creams can be used to soothe allergies. (Use drugs under doctor’s guidance)
Allergies are not fatal but if not taken seriously can make your child very ill. So as soon as you come to know about your child's allergies, make sure you train yourself and them to avoid those allergens. And also you can keep a track of good hygiene in children to prevent any kind of allergy or infection.
This article has been reviewed by our panel. The points, views and suggestions put forth in this article have been expressed keeping the best interests of fellow parents in mind. We hope you found the article beneficial.