As the world fights with the deadly coronavirus, it is important to maintain a strong immunity among kids as they are at high risk due to an immune system which is weaker as compared to the rest. Turmeric or Haldi as we call it, is the spice that gives curry its yellow color and is a proven immunity booster. Many high-quality studies show that it has major benefits for your body and brain. It has been used in India for thousands of years as a spice and medicinal herb. Recently, science has started to back up what Indians have known for a long time -it really does contain compounds with medicinal properties.
- Turmeric contains an active compound called curcumin that gives turmeric its known medicinal properties.
- Turmeric has antioxidant, antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal, anti-carcinogenic, and anti-inflammatory properties which make it highly beneficial for boosting immunity.
- Turmeric can be used as first aid for any injury or wound. It prevents bacteria or any foreign pathogen from entering the wound due to its antibacterial properties.
- The curcumin present in Turmeric boosts levels of the brain hormone, which increases the growth of new neurons and fights various degenerative processes in your brain.
- Turmeric has been used in Ayurvedic and traditional medicine to treat many problems, including gynecological issues, gastrointestinal problems, liver issues, infectious diseases, and blood ailments.
- Because of its antioxidant properties, turmeric has been shown useful against inflammatory disorders, such as ulcers and cancer. It also can help protect the liver and kidneys and resolve arthritis and other chronic diseases.
- Turmeric helps regulate insulin levels and improve glucose control in patients with diabetes. It also helps improve insulin resistance, which is a precursor for type 2 diabetes.
- Turmeric has also been regarded as a treatment for acne and is used in various skin care masks and remedies. It provides healthy and glowing skin. The Haldi Ceremony is an important wedding ritual in India in which Turmeric is applied to the bride and groom to ensure that the couple looks radiant on their special day.
- Turmeric works like magic in curing cough, cold, sore throat or even flu due to its antioxidant properties.
- Turmeric can be an ideal supplement in the treatment of metabolic syndrome as it lowers LDL (unhealthy) and improves HDL (healthy) cholesterol levels, one of the symptoms of this disease.
HOW CAN TURMERIC BE USED TO ACQUIRE MAXIMUM BENEFITS?
- The Golden Milk is the best way to include Turmeric in your kid’s diet. Add a pinch of black pepper along with the turmeric to maximize the curcumin absorption.
- Add fresh sliced turmeric to your morning smoothie to give it an appealing golden color and to reap a host of health benefits. Its flavor complements that of carrots, apples, and citrus fruits in smoothies.
- Don’t hesitate to add generous amounts of fresh turmeric in dals, curries and vegetables.
- For a cough or cold, mix honey, ginger and turmeric (preferably fresh) and have a teaspoon of it with warm water or milk twice a day.
- Turmeric along with lukewarm Ghee acts as a perfect first aid for any wound or injury.
- Turmeric face masks have been used since ancient times as they improve skin luster and prevent acne. It can be mixed with yogurt, glycerine, honey and aloe vera.
We asked some parents about their methods of incorporating the humble turmeric in their child’s diet. Let us see what they have to say.
"I add turmeric in my child's milk to boost immunity"
“We Indians are experts in utilizing every ingredient to its full benefits. I make sure that I add turmeric to all the dals and vegetables at home.”
“My child does not like Haldi in his milk so I add it in all his curries and vegetables.”
“I put Haldi in all vegetables because my child does not like the taste of it in milk. This is the only option I have as he is very particular about taste."
The amazing health benefits of turmeric include the ability to reduce inflammation, heal wounds, improve skin health, protect cognitive abilities, and ease menstrual difficulties. So, what are you waiting for? Add this Queen of spices to your daily diet and feel the difference.
Stay tuned, Stay Relevant!
This article has been reviewed by our panel. The points, views and suggestions put forth in this article have been expressed keeping the best interests of fellow parents in mind. We hope you found the article beneficial.