This Helped Govt School Students Score Better In CBSE Class 10 Boards

Nimisha Paul
a year ago
icon 12-14
• Maharashtra
• covid-19
• schools
• pandemic
• shut

Source : Hindustan Times

The introduction of basic mathematics for the students of class 10 CBSE led to the astonishing improvement in the performance of students in this year’s board exams. The pass percentage across Delhi government schools -- recorded a jump of over 11 percentage points in this year over 2019.

The pass percentage of students in mathematics has gone up to 88.39% this year from 73.68% in 2019.

Data provided by the Delhi Government states that of the 153,910 students from their 1005 schools who took the class 10 exams this year, 111,298 or 73% had opted for basic mathematics. The remaining 27% went for standard mathematics. As many as 94,920 (85%) passed the basic math exam.


Mary Jyotsna Minj, principal of a Delhi government school in Kondli, said, “The introduction of basic mathematics was the major reason why the pass percentage in our school jumped from 68% to 91.5% this year. Also, unlike previous years, the 20-mark internal assessment was divided into four components this year, which offered students multiple opportunities to score more marks,” she said. The school recorded 156 overall compartments last year; this year the number dropped to 33.

As against 73.68% of students of Delhi government schools clearing mathematics in class 10 last year, we have 88.4% of students passing in this subject this year. Those who wanted to study maths beyond Class 10 opted for standard mathematics this year and 96.5% passed. 

Read | Schools Opened In Maharashtra Shuts Again!

However, many teachers believe that math was not the sole reason for the improvement of marks. Pawan Kumar, a math teacher at a government school in Madipur, which saw a 20 percentage point increase in its results, said, “While there wasn’t much difference between the two maths papers, repeated interventions by teachers and numerous class exercises ensured students were able to secure passing or average marks in mathematics this year. They also scored more in internal assessments.”

Daily News
We are on a Mission To Guide Parents on How to Select the Right School

Register Before

Ezyschooling Achiever
Fill the form to register your child as an achiever on Ezyschooling
Subscribe to receive parenting tips from Ezyschooling straight in your inbox